(in 2014 moved to April 28)
SAINT ADALBERT (WOJCIECH), BISHOP AND MARTYR
PRIMARY PATRON SAINT OF POLAND,
ARCHDIOCESES OF GNIEZNO, GDAŃSK AND WARMIA,
AND DIOCESES OF ELBLĄG AND KOSZALIN-KOŁOBRZEG
Adalbert (Wojciech) was born ca. 956 into a powerful dynasty of Slavniks. In 983 he became Bishop of Prague. Due to family struggles, he had to leave his fatherland twice. In Rome he entered the Benedictine abbey. He was a missionary in Hungary and Poland. He left Poland for Prussia, where he was murdered by pagans on 23 April 997. His relics remain in the Gniezno Cathedral.
Continue reading April 23, St Adalbert (Wojciech)
In the Archdioceses of Kraków and Warszawa, and Diocese of Warszawa-Praga
SAINT CLEMENT MARIA HOFBAUER, PRESBYTER
Clement was born in Moravia in 1751. Even as a child he wished to become a priest, but the poverty of his family hindered his education; he thus worked in various professions. In 1784 in Rome he entered the Congregation of Redemptorists. He founded the monastery by St Benon Church in Warsaw and for 21 years he developed chaplaincy and educational work there, which made him known as the apostle of Warsaw. After the dissolution of the institution and removal of Redemptorists, he worked in Vienna, where he died in 1820.
Common of of Pastors.
Continue reading March 15, St Clement Maria (Klemens Maria) Hofbauer
In the Military Ordinariate
The DEDICATION of the FIELD CATHEDRAL in WARSAW
In the Cathedral – Solemnity
An Apostolic Visitor, Mgr Achilles Ratti, informed of the creation of the military bishopric in Poland on 5 February 1919. The cornerstone of the cathedral was laid on 19 July 1660. The construction of the temple was brought to an end in 1682 thanks to Małgorzata Kotowska – wife of a pantler from Wyszogród. After the fall of the November Uprising in 1834, the church was given to the Orthodox Church to serve as Cathedral for the Orthodox Bishop of Warsaw. After the restoration of Poland’s independence and the appointment of Bishop Stanisław Gall as the first Military Bishop of the Polish Army in 1919, the temple became Field Cathedral of the Polish Army. Bishop Gall consecrated and dedicated the renovated temple on 12 March 1933. On 21 January 1991 Pope John Paul II restored the Military Ordinariate in Poland, appointing Father Prelate Sławoj Leszek Głódź as Military Bishop. The Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments with the decree of 15 July 1999 approved of the anniversary of the dedication of the Field Cathedral of the Polish Army falling on 12 March.
Common of Dedication of a Church.