In the Military Ordinariate
The DEDICATION of the FIELD CATHEDRAL in WARSAW
In the Cathedral – Solemnity
An Apostolic Visitor, Mgr Achilles Ratti, informed of the creation of the military bishopric in Poland on 5 February 1919. The cornerstone of the cathedral was laid on 19 July 1660. The construction of the temple was brought to an end in 1682 thanks to Małgorzata Kotowska – wife of a pantler from Wyszogród. After the fall of the November Uprising in 1834, the church was given to the Orthodox Church to serve as Cathedral for the Orthodox Bishop of Warsaw. After the restoration of Poland’s independence and the appointment of Bishop Stanisław Gall as the first Military Bishop of the Polish Army in 1919, the temple became Field Cathedral of the Polish Army. Bishop Gall consecrated and dedicated the renovated temple on 12 March 1933. On 21 January 1991 Pope John Paul II restored the Military Ordinariate in Poland, appointing Father Prelate Sławoj Leszek Głódź as Military Bishop. The Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments with the decree of 15 July 1999 approved of the anniversary of the dedication of the Field Cathedral of the Polish Army falling on 12 March.
Common of Dedication of a Church.