In the Diocese of Elbląg
The DEDICATION of the CATHEDRAL in ELBLĄG
In the Cathedral – Solemnity
The beginnings of St Nicholas Parish Church date back to the 13th century. Between 1340-1355 a Gothic hall church with a nave and two aisles was erected. A tower was added in 1380 and rebuilt in the 16th century, when it was crowned with a Renaissance tented roof. In the 18th century and during the II World War, the church was burnt and seriously damaged. The post-war reconstruction ended in 1965. Since the beginning of the 15th century the church has housed the relics of the Holy Cross. The parish church was elevated to the status of cathedral when the papal bull of John Paul II created Diocese of Elbląg on 25 March 1992.
Common of Dedication of a Church.