In the Diocese of Sosnowiec
The DEDICATION of the CATHEDRAL BASILICA in SOSNOWIEC
In the Cathedral Basilica – Solemnity
The Neo-Roman Parish Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Sosnowiec, built in the years 1893-1906, according to the architect Karol Kozłowski’s design, is a valuable example of the sacred architecture of Sosnowiec. Its interior is adorned with the polychromy made by Włodzimierz Tetmajer and Henryk Uziembło. The church was consecrated on 8 August 1910 by Augustyn Łosiński, Bishop of Kielce. Pope John Paul II, establishing the Diocese of Sosnowiec on 25 March 1992 with the papal bull Totus Tuus Poloniae Populus, made it cathedral of the new diocese. By the decree of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments of 28 October 1999, the church was elevated to the status of minor basilica.
Common of the Dedication of a Church.