In the Diocese of Kalisz
The DEDICATION of the CATHEDRAL in KALISZ
In the Cathedral – Solemnity
Pope John Paul II, upon setting up the Diocese of Kalisz on 25 March 1992, elevated St Nicholas Church to the status of cathedral. It is the oldest church of Kalisz, erected between 1253-1257 by Blessed Yolanda and her husband Boleslaus the Pious. Burnt down in 1560 and 1609, it was re-built in 1612 according to the project of Albin Fontana, Italian architect. Its interior was thoroughly renovated at the beginning the existence of the new diocese and it was equipped with a new post-Counciliar altar, consecrated by Stanisław Napierała, Bishop of Kalisz, on 24 September 1997.
Common of the Dedication of a Church.