In the Diocese of Tarnów
The DEDICATION of the CATHEDRAL BASILICA in TARNÓW
In the Cathedral Basilica – Solemnity
After Christianity had taken roots in Poland, the wooden Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary was built in Tarnów. Toward the end of the 14th century, it was replaced with the brick one. Bl James Strepa was ordained there in 1392. In 1400 a collegiate dome was placed nearby. When the Diocese of Tarnów was set up in 1785, the church became cathedral. In 1972 Pope Paul VI made it minor basilica.
Common of the Dedication of a Church.