In the Diocese of Bydgoszcz
The DEDICATION of the CATHEDRAL in BYDGOSZCZ
In the Cathedral – Solemnity
The Parish Church of Sts Martin and Nicholas in Bydgoszcz, which stood out because of its Gothic architecture, had been built in 1466-1502. Numerous founders adorned it with votive chapels. It was particularly famous for the two venerated and crowned Marian images: Our Lady with a Rose, or Our Lady of Beautiful Love (1467), in the main altar and Our Lady of Mount Carmel (1700) in the altar of the northern nave. In the middle of the 19th century, the parish church was the only open Catholic church in the town. After regaining independence, in 1922-1925 the church was renovated and in 1945-1949 it was rebuilt after war damage. In 1983 the Collegiate Chapter was established and in 1999 – upon the personal request of Pope John Paul II – it was elevated to the status of the co-cathedral of the Archdiocese of Gniezno. On 25 March 2004 the Diocese of Bydgoszcz was set up, and the former parish co-cathedral became cathedral.
Common of the Dedication of a Church.