In the Diocese of Kalisz
BLESSED GUIDA CIERPKA and COMPANIONS, VIRGINS and MARTYRS
Bl Helen (Helena) Cierpka, name in religion: Maria Guida of the Divine Mercy, was born on 11 April 1900 in Granowiec (the district of Odolanów). On 17 February 1927 she entered the Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth. After the novitiate in Grodno, she made simple vows. In 1936 she took solemn vows, receiving the mystery of the Divine Mercy. After her profession she left for Nowogródek. In July 1943, along with her sisters, she voluntarily offered a sacrifice to God, giving up her life for 120 inhabitants of Nowogródek, imprisoned by the Nazi occupant invader. She was executed on 1 August 1943 with 10 sisters. She was beatified by John Paul II in Rome on 5 March 2000.
Common of Several Martyrs.
Continue reading September 4, Bl Guida (Gwidona) Cierpka and Companions
In the Diocese of Bydgoszcz
The NATIVITY of the BLESSED VIRGIN MARY,
MOTHER of BEAUTIFUL LOVE
Primary patron of the diocese – Solemnity
The image of the Madonna with a Rose – Mother of Beautiful Love (1467) has been venerated in the high altar of St Martin and Nicholas Parish Church in Bydgoszcz, built in 1466-1502. The miraculous image has been crowned twice. The first coronation (only of the Madonna) was conducted by Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński, Primate of Poland, on 29 May 1966. He also named the Madonna Mother of Beautiful Love and the name has since caught on. The ceremony was attended by the then Archbishop of Kraków, Cardinal Karol Wojtyła, who 33 years later, on 7 June 1999, arrived in Bydgoszcz as Pope John Paul II. During the Holy Mass on the Bydgoszcz Airport (with 600 thousand believers) he adorned the temples of both the Mother and Son with two new crowns.
Office as on the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
In the Archdiocese of Warmia
The BLESSED VIRGIN MARY, QUEEN of PEACE
The cult of the Mother of God has been present in Stoczek ever since the 14th century, when a figure of Our Lady of Sorrows was found. The shrine of the Mother of God, Queen of Peace, as known today, was founded as a votive offering by the Bishop of Warmia Mikołaj Szyszkowski for the peace agreement with the Swedes in Sztumska Wieś in 1635. The image of the Madonna with Child, a copy of the Salus Populi Romani icon was brought there about 1640. The miraculous image was adorned with papal crowns in Częstochowa on 19 June 1983 by John Paul II. The shrine has been prone to the vicissitudes of history, from its full bloom to a time of closure. The Primate of Poland Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński was kept prisoner in Stoczek (12 October 1953 to 6 October 1954).
Common of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Continue reading September 1, The Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen of Peace (Najświętszej Maryi Panny, Królowej Pokoju)
In the Diocese of Bielsko-Żywiec
BLESSED MARGARET LUCY SZEWCZYK, VIRGIN
She was born in 1828 in Szeptówka in Volyn (current Ukraine). At 20, she entered the Third Franciscan Order and made private vows of the evangelical councils. In 1870-1873 she served sick pilgrims in Jerusalem. Afterwards, she went to Zakroczym. Having participated in a retreat led by Bl Honoratus Koźmiński, she rented a flat and began gathering poor and sick elderly women whom she took care of devotedly. In 1881, with the aid of Bl Honoratus, she founded the Congregation, which with time came to be known as the Daughters of the Sorrowful Mother of God – Seraphic Sisters. After 10 years, she moved to Galicia. She built a convent in Oświęcim which became the General House of the congregation whose aim is to bring help to the deserted and sick, as well as to educate the children of orphanages and shelters in the religious spirit. She died in the odour of sanctity on 5 June 1905.
Common of Virgins.
Continue reading June 5, Bl Margaret Lucy (Małgorzata Łucja) Szewczyk, Virgin
In the Archdiocese of Warmia
BLESSED REGINA PROTMANN, VIRGIN
Regina Protmann was born in 1552 in Braniewo (the Diocese of Warmia) in a pious and wealthy family who brought her up religiously and educated her well. Called and led by God’s grace, he left her home at 19 in order to dedicate herself to the life of prayer and penance in complete consecration to God. In 1571 she founded a contemplative-active congregation, without strict cloister, that performed three types of apostleship: caring for the sick and poor, educating children and teenagers, working for the Church. Her motto was, “As God wills.” Prompted by love of Jesus Christ, she tried to be like Him in the loving surrender to the heavenly Father’s will. She died on 18 January 1613 surrounded by her sisters. She was beatified on 13 June 1999 by Pope John Paul II.
Common of Virgin.
Continue reading January 18, Bl Regina Protmann
BLESSED VINCENT LEWONIUK and COMPANIONS, MARTYRS of PRATULIN
In the Diocese of Siedlce – Obligatory memorial
Blessed Vincent Lewoniuk and 12 Companions were members of the Uniate Church that had been created under the Union of Brest in 1596. They died martyrs’ death on 24 January 1874 at the hands of Russian soldiers, who, on behalf of the tsar, wanted to force them to join the Orthodox Church. The martyrs of Pratulin laid down their lives defending the faith and unity of the Church. Pope John Paul II declared them blessed in Rome on 6 October 1996.
Common of Several Martyrs.
Continue reading January 23, Bls Vincent (Wincenty) Lewoniuk and Companions, Martyrs of Pratulin
In the Diocese of Bydgoszcz
The DEDICATION of the CATHEDRAL in BYDGOSZCZ
In the Cathedral – Solemnity
The Parish Church of Sts Martin and Nicholas in Bydgoszcz, which stood out because of its Gothic architecture, had been built in 1466-1502. Numerous founders adorned it with votive chapels. It was particularly famous for the two venerated and crowned Marian images: Our Lady with a Rose, or Our Lady of Beautiful Love (1467), in the main altar and Our Lady of Mount Carmel (1700) in the altar of the northern nave. In the middle of the 19th century, the parish church was the only open Catholic church in the town. After regaining independence, in 1922-1925 the church was renovated and in 1945-1949 it was rebuilt after war damage. In 1983 the Collegiate Chapter was established and in 1999 – upon the personal request of Pope John Paul II – it was elevated to the status of the co-cathedral of the Archdiocese of Gniezno. On 25 March 2004 the Diocese of Bydgoszcz was set up, and the former parish co-cathedral became cathedral.
Common of the Dedication of a Church.
SAINT HYACINTH, PRESBYTER
In the Province of Upper Silesia: Primary patron saint of the province – Solemnity
In the Archdiocese of Kraków: Patron saint of the archdiocese – Feast
Hyacinth (Jacek) was born in Kamień in Silesia at the end of the 17th century. Having studied in Paris and Bologna, he became priest and canon in Kraków. Accompanying bishop Ivo on his journey to Rome, he met St Dominic and was invested by him together with Bl Ceslaus. Upon returning to Kraków, he founded there the first Dominican monastery in Poland. He would embark on a number of missionary journeys to Ruthenia, Prussia and borderlands of Lithuania. Exhausted by this work, he died in Kraków on the Solemnity of the Assumption of Mary in 1257.
Common of Pastors, except:
Continue reading August 17, St Hyacinth (Jacek)
SAINT JOSEPH SEBASTIAN PELCZAR, BISHOP
In the Diocese of Rzeszów:
Primary Patron Saint of the Diocese – Solemnity
Joseph Sebastian (Józef Sebastian) Pelczar was born on 17 January 1842 in Korczyna (the Diocese of Przemyśl). Brought up in a religious atmosphere, he entered the seminary and was ordained in 1864. After studying in Rome, he was the prefect of the Seminary of Przemyśl and in 1877-1899 professor of the Jagiellonian University in Kraków. As a priest and professor he was known for an enthusiasm and devotion for the Blessed Sacrament, Heart of God and Blessed Virgin Mary, which he expressed in his service as a pastor and writer. Worried about the immoral conduct of girls, as well as the sick and poor, he founded the Congregation of the Sister Servants of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus in 1894 in Kraków. In 1899 he became auxiliary bishop and in 1900 diocesan bishop of Przemyśl. He died in the odour of sanctity on 28 March 1924, after 25 years of ardent service as a bishop. John Paul II declared him blessed in 1991, and canonised him in Rome on 18 May 2003.
Common of Pastors.
Continue reading January 19, St Joseph (Józef) Sebastian Pelczar