Tag Archives: 13th century

September 20, Legnica Cathedral

September 20
In the Diocese of Legnica
The DEDICATION of the CATHEDRAL in LEGNICA
Feast
In the Cathedral – Solemnity

The Cathedral Church of Sts Apostles Peter and Paul in Legnica dates back to the 13th century. The present temple was erected in the Gothic style in the years 1333-1378. It was consecrated by Bishop Nankier in 1341. In the years 1524-1947 it was the Protestant church. In 1947 it returned to Catholics. Pope John Paul II with the bull Totus Poloniae Populus of 25 March 1992 set up the Diocese of Legnica and made the temple cathedral. John Paul II visited it during his apostolic journey to Legnica on 2 June 1997.

Common of the Dedication of a Church.

[PDF Version]

Advertisements

September 1, Bl Bronislava (Bronisława)

September 1
BLESSED BRONISLAVA, VIRGIN
Obligatory memorial

Bronislava, related to Saint Hyacinth and Blessed Ceslaus, was born about 1200. As a young woman she entered the Convent of Norbertines in Zwierzyniec, near Kraków. She was known for her zeal in monastic life. She most likely died in 1259.

Common of Virgins.

[PDF Version]

Continue reading September 1, Bl Bronislava (Bronisława)

August 14, Oliwa Archcathedral Basilica

August 14
In the Archdiocese of Gdańsk
The DEDICATION of the ARCHCATHEDRAL BASILICA in GDAŃSK-OLIWA
Feast
In the Archcathedral Basilica – Solemnity

In the 13th century, a Cistercian church was erected in Oliwa. In the following years it was restored and rebuilt. It was consecrated ceremoniously on 14 August 1590 by Bishop Hieronim Rozdrażewski and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Bernard. After the dissolution of the abbey in 1831, it became parish church. In 1925 Pope Pius XI created the Diocese of Gdańsk, and the church in Oliwa was made cathedral. In 1976 Pope Paul VI elevated it to the status of minor basilica. In 1992 Pope John Paul II created the Archdiocese of Gdańsk and the cathedral in Oliwa became metropolitan church.

Common of the Dedication of a Church.

[PDF Version]

August 11, Our Lady of Święta Lipka (Najświętszej Maryi Panny Świętolipskiej)

August 11
OUR LADY of ŚWIĘTA LIPKA
In the Diocese of Warmia – Obligatory memorial

Tradition has it that the statue of Virgin Mary places in a linden tree by the road near the village of Reszel has been revered since the 13th century. During the reformation, the figure was destroyed. In the 17th century a benevolent painting was placed there instead. On 11 August 1968 it was crowned the the Primate of Poland Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński.

Common of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

[PDF Version]

Continue reading August 11, Our Lady of Święta Lipka (Najświętszej Maryi Panny Świętolipskiej)

July 24, St Cunegunda (Kinga)

July 24
SAINT CUNEGUNDA, NUN
Obligatory memorial

Cunegunda was born in 1234 as a daughter of the Hungarian King – Béla IV. She was St Margaret of Hungary and Bl Yolanda’s sister, and Boleslaus the Chaste’s wife. They took up the vow of chastity. She shared the ups and downs of a long and difficult reign, serving as a mother of all the poor and afflicted. After her husband’s death she entered the Order of the Poor Clares that she herself had founded in Stary Sącz. She combined the spirit of austere penance with internal Franciscan happiness attained with suffering and the difficulty of life. She died in Stary Sącz on 24 July 1292. Her cult began immediately after her death. She was canonised by Pope John Paul II in 1999.

Common of Holy Women.

[PDF Version]

Continue reading July 24, St Cunegunda (Kinga)

June 9, Warszawa Archcathedral Basilica

June 9
In the Archdiocese of Warszawa
The DEDICATION of the ARCHCATHEDRAL BASILICA in WARSZAWA
Feast
In the Archcathedral Basilica – Solemnity

The ceremonial consecration of the cathedral, rebuilt from scratch after World War II, was led the Primate of Poland, Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński on behalf of Pope John XXIII on 9 June 1960. The status of minor basilica was granted in 1961.

Common of Dedication of a Church.

Continue reading June 9, Warszawa Archcathedral Basilica

June 2, Bl Sadok and Companions

June 2
In the Diocese of Sandomierz
BLESSED SADOK and COMPANIONS, MARTYRS
Obligatory memorial

Bl Sadok, prior of the Dominican monastery in Sandomierz, was killed by Tatars along with 48 brothers on 2 June 1260. Legend has it that they had read the news of their death in the Martyrology on the eve of their martyrdom and during the slaughter they sang Salve Regina.

Common of Several Martyrs.

Continue reading June 2, Bl Sadok and Companions

May 17, Elbląg Cathedral

May 17
In the Diocese of Elbląg
The DEDICATION of the CATHEDRAL in ELBLĄG
Feast
In the Cathedral – Solemnity

The beginnings of St Nicholas Parish Church date back to the 13th century. Between 1340-1355 a Gothic hall church with a nave and two aisles was erected. A tower was added in 1380 and rebuilt in the 16th century, when it was crowned with a Renaissance tented roof. In the 18th century and during the II World War, the church was burnt and seriously damaged. The post-war reconstruction ended in 1965. Since the beginning of the 15th century the church has housed the relics of the Holy Cross. The parish church was elevated to the status of cathedral when the papal bull of John Paul II created Diocese of Elbląg on 25 March 1992.

Common of Dedication of a Church.

May 12, Bl Jutta of Bielczyny (Juta z Bielczyn)

May 12
In the Archdiocese of Toruń
BLESSED JUTTA of BIELCZYNY
Optional memorial

Blessed Jutta was born ca 1220 in Sangerhausen at the foot of the Harz Mountains, north of Erfurt. When her husband had died, she distributed all her wealth to the poor, and started to make pilgrimages to holy places. He supported the Teutonic Knights in their Christianising of Prussia. Living in a hermitage in Bielczyny, near Chełmża, she cared for the sick and shared the food that she managed to obtain by begging. Her cult began soon after her death and her body was placed in the Holy Trinity Cathedral in Chełmża.

Common of Holy Women.