Tag Archives: 15th century

September 8, The Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of Beautiful Love (Matki Pięknej Miłości)

September 8
In the Diocese of Bydgoszcz
The NATIVITY of the BLESSED VIRGIN MARY,
MOTHER of BEAUTIFUL LOVE
Primary patron of the diocese – Solemnity

The image of the Madonna with a Rose – Mother of Beautiful Love (1467) has been venerated in the high altar of St Martin and Nicholas Parish Church in Bydgoszcz, built in 1466-1502. The miraculous image has been crowned twice. The first coronation (only of the Madonna) was conducted by Cardinal Stefan Wyszyński, Primate of Poland, on 29 May 1966. He also named the Madonna Mother of Beautiful Love and the name has since caught on. The ceremony was attended by the then Archbishop of Kraków, Cardinal Karol Wojtyła, who 33 years later, on 7 June 1999, arrived in Bydgoszcz as Pope John Paul II. During the Holy Mass on the Bydgoszcz Airport (with 600 thousand believers) he adorned the temples of both the Mother and Son with two new crowns.

Office as on the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Advertisements

August 31, Bydgoszcz Cathedral

August 31
In the Diocese of Bydgoszcz
The DEDICATION of the CATHEDRAL in BYDGOSZCZ
Feast
In the Cathedral – Solemnity

The Parish Church of Sts Martin and Nicholas in Bydgoszcz, which stood out because of its Gothic architecture, had been built in 1466-1502. Numerous founders adorned it with votive chapels. It was particularly famous for the two venerated and crowned Marian images: Our Lady with a Rose, or Our Lady of Beautiful Love (1467), in the main altar and Our Lady of Mount Carmel (1700) in the altar of the northern nave. In the middle of the 19th century, the parish church was the only open Catholic church in the town. After regaining independence, in 1922-1925 the church was renovated and in 1945-1949 it was rebuilt after war damage. In 1983 the Collegiate Chapter was established and in 1999 – upon the personal request of Pope John Paul II – it was elevated to the status of the co-cathedral of the Archdiocese of Gniezno. On 25 March 2004 the Diocese of Bydgoszcz was set up, and the former parish co-cathedral became cathedral.

Common of the Dedication of a Church.

[PDF Version]

October 21, Bl James Strepa (Jakub Strzemię)

October 21
BLESSED JAMES STREPA, BISHOP
Obligatory memorial

James (Jakub) was born about 1340. At a young age, he entered the Order of Franciscans and became known as a zealous missionary of Eastern Borderlands. In 1391 he became Archbishop of Halicz-Lviv. He had a special devotion to the Blessed Sacrament and the Blessed Virgin. He died on 20 October 1409.

Common of Pastors.

[PDF Version]

Continue reading October 21, Bl James Strepa (Jakub Strzemię)

October 20, St John Cantius (Jan Kanty or Jan z Kęt)

October 20
SAINT JOHN CANTIUS, PRESBYTER
Obligatory memorial
In the Archdiocese of Kraków:
Primary patron saint of the archdiocese – Solemnity

John (Jan) was born in Kęty in 1390. He studied at the Jagiellonian University in Kraków, finally becoming its professor of theology. He was known for his mercy for the poor. He died in Kraków on 24 December 1473.

Common of Pastors, except:

[PDF Version]

Continue reading October 20, St John Cantius (Jan Kanty or Jan z Kęt)

October 5, Toruń Cathedral Basilica

October 5
In the Diocese of Toruń
The DEDICATION of the CATHEDRAL BASILICA  in TORUŃ
Feast
In the Cathedral Basilica – Solemnity

The erection of the first parish church commenced after 1236, i.e. after Toruń had been granted town rights. In the years 1310-1330 began the construction of the present Gothic church of Sts John the Baptist and John the Evangelist. It was being extended for the next 200 years, and finally was given its final shape at the end of the 15th century. Throughout centuries it was repeatedly destroyed by wars, fires, disasters and religious devastation, each time rebuilt with the preservation of the original architectural form. In 1473 Nicolaus Copernicus was baptised there by the Gothic font from the second half of the 13th century, and in 1550 the bell called Tuba Dei (one of the biggest bells in Poland) was placed on its tower. In 1935 the church was given the title of minor basilica by the brief of Pope Pius XI, and in 1992 by Pope John Paul II’s bull it was made cathedral.

Common of the Dedication of a Church.

[PDF Version]

September 24, Bielsko-Biała Cathedral

September 24
In the Diocese of Bielsko-Żywiec
The DEDICATION of the CATHEDRAL in BIELSKO-BIAŁA
Feast
In the Cathedral – Solemnity

The initial church of Saint Nicholas, founded by the Prince of Cieszyn, Wenceslaus I, was consecrated in 1447. In the years 1559-1630, it was an Evangelical church. It was burnt thrice between 1659-1808, and in the years 1785-1786 it weathered three earthquakes. In the years 1908-1911, it was re-built according to Leopold Bauer’s project. In 1911 it was dedicated by Cardinal Jerzy Kopp. In the years 1990-2003, its interior was thoroughly renovated and its roofing was changed. On 25 March 1992 John Paul II set up the Diocese of Bielsko-Żywiec. The church of Saint Nicholas was made cathedral.

Common of the Dedication of a Church.

[PDF Version]

September 12, Our Lady of Piekary (Najświętszej Maryi Panny Piekarskiej)

September 12
OUR LADY of PIEKARY
In the Archdiocese of Katowice:
Patron Saint of the archdiocese – Solemnity

The image of the Blessed Virgin Mary has been venerated in Piekary ever since the 15th century. In 1703 during the Northern war the image was taken to Opole and a copy was placed in Piekary, where it started to be worshipped. In the 19th century Piekary became the centre of the renewal of religious life in Silesia. The image was crowned 1925, and Pope John XXIII made Our Lady of Piekary patroness saint of the Diocese of Katowice.

Common of the Blessed Virgin Mary, except:

[PDF Version]

Continue reading September 12, Our Lady of Piekary (Najświętszej Maryi Panny Piekarskiej)

July 18, St Simon of Lipnica (Szymon z Lipnicy)

July 18
SAINT SIMON of LIPNICA, PRESBYTER
Optional memorial
In the Diocese of Tarnów – Obligatory memorial

Simon was born about 1437 in Lipnica. After graduating from the Kraków Academy, influenced by St John of Capistrano’s sermons, he entered the Bernardine monastery in Kraków. During his monastic life he was known for the austerity of life, devotion to the Blessed Sacrament and the Virgin Mary, love for God and neighbours along with the preacher’s zeal. He died on 18 July 1482 in the opinion of sanctity, serving the infected during the bubonic plague in Kraków. He relics remain in the Bernardine Church in Kraków. He was canonised by Pope Benedict XVI in 2007.

Common of Holy Men.

[PDF Version]

Continue reading July 18, St Simon of Lipnica (Szymon z Lipnicy)

July 8, St John of Dukla (Jan z Dukli)

July 8
SAINT JOHN of DUKLA (JAN z DUKLI), PRESBYTER
Obligatory memorial

Saint John was born in Dukla in 1414. He entered the Order of Conventual Franciscans and after his ordination he worked at various monasteries of Lesser Poland. Influenced by Saint John of Capistrano he entered the Order of Bernardines, whereby he worked most of his in Lviv as a zealous confessor and preacher. He was a great admirer of the Blessed Virgin Mary and a humble servant of men. He died in Lviv on 29 September 1484. His tomb was visited by the members of various rites. His relics have been housed in Dukla since 1974. He was canonised by Pope John Paul II in Krosno on 10 June 1997.

Common of Pastors, or of Religious.

[PDF Version]

Continue reading July 8, St John of Dukla (Jan z Dukli)

June 25, Our Lady of Święta Góra in Gostyń (Najświętszej Maryi Panny Świętogórskiej z Gostynia)

June 25
In the Archdiocese of Poznań
OUR LADY of ŚWIĘTA GÓRA in GOSTYŃ
Obligatory memorial

From the late 15th century a shrine of the Blessed Virgin Mary has existed in Gostyń, which is the heart of her cult in the Archdiocese of Poznań. The stately church of the Immaculate Conception was consecrated in 1698. The benevolent image was crowned on 24 June 1928.

Common of the Blessed Virgin Mary, except:

Continue reading June 25, Our Lady of Święta Góra in Gostyń (Najświętszej Maryi Panny Świętogórskiej z Gostynia)