Tag Archives: dedication

August 31, Bydgoszcz Cathedral

August 31
In the Diocese of Bydgoszcz
The DEDICATION of the CATHEDRAL in BYDGOSZCZ
Feast
In the Cathedral – Solemnity

The Parish Church of Sts Martin and Nicholas in Bydgoszcz, which stood out because of its Gothic architecture, had been built in 1466-1502. Numerous founders adorned it with votive chapels. It was particularly famous for the two venerated and crowned Marian images: Our Lady with a Rose, or Our Lady of Beautiful Love (1467), in the main altar and Our Lady of Mount Carmel (1700) in the altar of the northern nave. In the middle of the 19th century, the parish church was the only open Catholic church in the town. After regaining independence, in 1922-1925 the church was renovated and in 1945-1949 it was rebuilt after war damage. In 1983 the Collegiate Chapter was established and in 1999 – upon the personal request of Pope John Paul II – it was elevated to the status of the co-cathedral of the Archdiocese of Gniezno. On 25 March 2004 the Diocese of Bydgoszcz was set up, and the former parish co-cathedral became cathedral.

Common of the Dedication of a Church.

[PDF Version]

January 10, Drohiczyn Cathedral

January 10
In the Diocese of Drohiczyn
The DEDICATION of the CATHEDRAL in DROHICZYN
Feast
In the Cathedral – Solemnity

At the close of the 17th century, a Baroque church was erected in the place of the one that had burnt down. The consecration of the Holy Trinity church was conducted by the Bishop of Lutsk, Stefan Rupniewski on 10 January 1723. The church was profaned during the Second World War, after which it was renovated and started to serve God anew. After the creation of the Diocese of Drohiczyn, on 5 June 1991, it became the cathedral of the new diocese. John Paul II visited it on 10 June 1999.

Common of the Dedication of a Church.

[PDF Version]

November 18, Zamość Cathedral

November 18
In the Diocese of Zamość-Lubaczów
The DEDICATION of the CATHEDRAL in ZAMOŚĆ
Feast
In the Cathedral – Solemnity

The Church of the Resurrection of the Lord and St Thomas, Apostle, for centuries known as the Collegiate Church, was founded by Hetman Jan Zamoyski († 1605). Its consecration was conducted on 18 November 1637 by the Bishop of Bacău, Jan Chrzciciel Zamoyski, on behalf of the Bishop of Chełm, Remigiusz Koniecpolski. Pope John Paul II created the Diocese of Zamość-Lubaczów on 25 March 1992 and the collegiate church became cathedral.

Common of the Dedication of a Church.

[PDF Version]

September 4, Łomża Cathedral

September 4
In the Diocese of Łomża
The DEDICATION of the CATHEDRAL in ŁOMŻA
Feast
In the Cathedral – Solemnity

In the beginning of the 16th century, a parish church of St Michael the Archangel and St John the Baptist was erected in Łomża. It was consecrated by the Bishop of Płock, Andrzej Noskowski. Upon the creation of the Diocese of Łomża in 1925, it was chosen for the cathedral of the new bishopric. The new main altar was consecrated in 1959.

Common of the Dedication of a Church.

[PDF Version]

November 16, Wrocław Archcathedral

November 16
In the Archdiocese of Wrocław
The DEDICATION of the ARCHCATHEDRAL in WROCŁAW
Feast
In the Archcathedral – Solemnity

The Diocese of Wrocław was created in 1000 during the reign of Boleslaus the Brave and was the suffragan of the Province of Gniezno. Its first cathedral was the wooden church by the Oder River which got destroyed during the times of the return of paganism after the Boleslaus’s death. In the middle of the 12th century Bishop Walter began building the new cathedral. It was the stone temple modelled after the ancient Roman basilicas. The foundations of the third, Gothic church were laid by Bishop Tomasz I, and its consecration was performed by Bishop Tomasz II. Further works were carried out by Bishop Nankier. This God’s house was destroyed at the end of World War II. The renovated temple was consecrated by Stefan Wyszyński, Primate of Poland, in 1951.

Common of the Dedication of a Church.

[PDF Version]

Continue reading November 16, Wrocław Archcathedral

November 16, Opole Cathedral

November 16
In the Diocese of Opole
The DEDICATION of the CATHEDRAL in OPOLE
Feast
In the Cathedral – Solemnity

The cathedral was erected in the stead of the previous wooden church of the Holy Cross. It was built thanks to Tomasz I, Bishop of Wrocław and Bolesław, Prince of Opole, in the 13th century. In the following centuries it was rebuilt and expanded. Since 1702 a benevolent image of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Our Lady of Opole, has been venerated there. After the establishment of the Diocese of Opole in 1972, it became the cathedral of the new diocese.

Common of the Dedication of a Church.

[PDF Version]

November 8, Płock Cathedral Basilica

November 8
In the Diocese of Płock
The DEDICATION of the CATHEDRAL BASILICA in PŁOCK
Feast
In the Cathedral Basilica – Solemnity

Thanks to the endeavours of the Bishop of Płock, Aleksander, the cathedral church was built on a bank of the Vistula, where previously there had been a small temple erected by Benedictines during the first years of Polish Christianity. The Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary was consecrated in 1144. Throughout centuries it has been renovated several times. The re-consecration was conducted by the Bishop of Płock, Jerzy Szembek, on 8 November 1903, and in 1910 Pope Pius X made it minor basilica. Destroyed in the beginning of World War II, it was renovated and started to serve God again. Inside there are tombs of the princes: Ladislaus Herman and Boleslaus Wrymouth, and since the 12th century it has housed the relics of St Sigismund, King of Burgundy, Martyr, patron of the city.

Common of the Dedication of a Church.

[PDF Version]

October 30, Katowice Archcathedral

October 30
In the Archdiocese of Katowice
The DEDICATION of the ARCHCATHEDRAL in KATOWICE
Feast
In the Archcathedral – Solemnity

The Diocese of Katowice was set up by Pope Pius XI. Its first bishop, August Hlond, the subsequent Primate of Poland, decided to build the cathedral, which was finally erected by its successors: Arkadiusz Lisiecki and Stanisław Adamski. The Church of Christ the King was consecrated in 1955 and was soon elevated to the status of cathedral. Built thanks to the contributions of the believers, it is a meaningful proof of the deep devotion of the people of Silesia. Since 1992, the cathedral has served as the metropolitan church.

Common of the Dedication of a Church.

[PDF Version]

October 29, Częstochowa Archcathedral Basilica

October 29
In the Archdiocese of Częstochowa
The DEDICATION of the ARCHCATHEDRAL BASILICA   in CZĘSTOCHOWA
Feast
In the Archcathedral Basilica  – Solemnity

Toward the end of the 19th century, the erection of the new church commenced in Częstochowa. It was dedicated to the Holy Family in 1907. After the creation of the Diocese of Częstochowa in 1925, it was made cathedral. When the erection had been finished, the first Bishop of Częstochowa, Teodor Kubina, ceremoniously consecrated the church on 29 October 1950. Pope John XXIII made it basilica, and, upon creating the Archdiocese of Częstochowa in 1992, it started to serve as the metropolitan cathedral.

Common of the Dedication of a Church.

[PDF Version]

October 25, Koszalin Cathedral

October 25
In the Diocese of Koszalin-Kołobrzeg
The DEDICATION of the CATHEDRAL in KOSZALIN
Feast
In the Cathedral – Solemnity

The Marian Church in Koszalin was built between the years 1300 and 1333 in the Pomeranian Gothic style. In 1534 it was taken over by Protestants. It was regained by Catholics when the lands became Polish again. It was dedicated on 1 October 1945. After the creation of the Diocese of Koszalin-Kołobrzeg, it became its cathedral. On 25 October 1983 the first Bishop of Koszalin-Kołobrzeg, Ignacy Jeż, ceremoniously dedicated the cathedral to the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Common of the Dedication of a Church.

[PDF Version]