Tag Archives: opole

November 16, Opole Cathedral

November 16
In the Diocese of Opole
The DEDICATION of the CATHEDRAL in OPOLE
Feast
In the Cathedral – Solemnity

The cathedral was erected in the stead of the previous wooden church of the Holy Cross. It was built thanks to Tomasz I, Bishop of Wrocław and Bolesław, Prince of Opole, in the 13th century. In the following centuries it was rebuilt and expanded. Since 1702 a benevolent image of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Our Lady of Opole, has been venerated there. After the establishment of the Diocese of Opole in 1972, it became the cathedral of the new diocese.

Common of the Dedication of a Church.

[PDF Version]

Advertisements

November 14, Bl Mary Louise (Maria Luiza) Merkert

November 14
In the Diocese of Opole
BLESSED MARY LOUISE MERKERT, VIRGIN
Obligatory memorial
In the Archdioceses of Katowice and Wrocław – Optional memorial

Mary Louise (Maria Luiza) was born on 21 September 1817 in Nysa in the Opole Silesia region. In 1842 along with three inhabitants of Nysa, she founded the Congregation, whose main aim was to care for the sick and deserted in their own houses. She was known for her love for God and neighbours, great mercy toward the sick, poor, deserted and orphaned, in whom she saw the face of Christ. She focused her internal life on the prayer and devotion to the Eucharist, the Sacred Heart, Virgin Mary and Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, whom she chose as a patron saint the Congregation. She sensibly and fairly guided the Congregation of the Sisters of Saint Elizabeth for 22 years. Exhausted with toils and illnesses, she died in the odour of sanctity on 14 November 1872.

Common of Virgins.

[PDF Version]

Continue reading November 14, Bl Mary Louise (Maria Luiza) Merkert

June 21, Our Lady of Opole (Najświętszej Maryi Panny Opolskiej)

June 21
In the Diocese of Opole
OUR LADY of OPOLE
Obligatory memorial

The benevolent painting of Our Lady of Opole housed in the Opole Cathedral dates back to the late 15th century. Until 1702 it was venerated in Piekary. In the 17th century the cult of Our Lady of Opole spread across the neighbouring Czech territory reaching as far as Prague. The rebirth, or even the increase, of the cult occurred after World War II when the Diocese of Opole had been created. In 1974 Our Lady of Opole was named the primary patroness of Opole. Her feast was extended to the entire diocese after the ceremonious coronation of the painting carried out by Pope John Paul II on 21 June 1983 on the Saint Anne’s Hill.

Common of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Continue reading June 21, Our Lady of Opole (Najświętszej Maryi Panny Opolskiej)